Monday 9 January 2012

Wernddu 18 year old Chardonnay


Wernddu Vineyard


I don’t usually drink wine, I much prefer beer or cider, though 10 days stuck in the Scottish Highlands did give me a liking for Single Malts and my first and only experience of Tennant’s Sweetheart Stout, however, over the last few years I’ve come to know Frank and Leigh Strawford of the organic Wernddu Vineyard near Raglan, Monmouthshire. I first came to know them through their range of ciders and perries but in the last few years I’ve started to be taken in by their wines, the first one I tried was an incredible aged Chardonnay. Incredible as most wines made from this grape are sold within a couple of years of pressing. I first tried this vintage a few years ago and it is now 18 years old. Now I have a dry palate – I prefer very dry ciders and bitter tasty beers (none of those ‘bland beers brewed for the local taste’ for me), so on tasting this Chardonnay for the first time I was taken aback with the richness, flavour and dryness in it.

Chardonnay (18 year old)

Colour A rich golden-yellow
Aroma: A very complex aroma of Granny Smith apples with dried fruits such as mango and pineapple.
Taste: More rich citrus fruit, the complex flavours are intertwined and produce a dry sensation on the tongue.
Aftertaste: Dry, astringent but with a fruity bite of pineapple at the end.

Verdict: A stunning dry white wine. Not to everyone’s taste but if you do like dry, then this is the wine for you. Not much left either so get your hands on it soon!

Pen-Y-Clawdd, Monmouth NP25 4BW
Telephone: 01600 740 104

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails