Friday 16 November 2012

Now and Then - former Hancocks Brewery Newport

A bit of a change with these photographs, thought I'd go for the former Hancock's Brewery in Newport which was demolished in the 1970s and Newport Central Police station built on the site in the late 1990s. Que jokes about where once hogsheads were rolled out, today the entire pig exits the building!
The view from Cardiff road looking towards George Street




Full frontal views, facing Gilligans Island/Mariners Green



Above and below: Around the back of the station in Mountjoy Road

4 comments:

Phil said...

Intrigued by the sign on the building advertising "Five Five Ale". Any thoughts?

Brew Wales said...

Five Five was a popular Hancocks brew, I have some old labels of it which I'll put online sometime. Bass even brewed a version of it in the mid 1990s for Cardiff Beer Festival.

Anonymous said...

I remember, as a child, seeing the magnificent Hancock's greys in Mary St.Cardiff. Would you have any photographs of them?

Anonymous said...

My first beer was a bottle of Five Five in The Grawen pub in Brecon Road, Merthyr. I was only 14. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails